|Bargello Techniques Through Section 8|
|Bargello Techniques Section 8 Closeup|
|Bargello Techniques Section 7 Closeup|
Discovered that I was 2 threads off at the bottom of Section 5 and used Liz's trick of doing the fill-in stitches over 6 threads (instead of the usual 4) to make Sections 5 and 6 meet. Liz did this at the bottom of Section 6 to meet Section 3. Worked beautifully.
|Bargello Techniques Through Section 6|
|Bargello Techniques Section 6 Closeup|
January 30, 2014--Section 5 is mostly done. I'll complete the bottom after I begin Section 6--wanting to be sure of my count. Must now put this project down for a few months due to other commitments, but look forward to working on it again.
|Bargello Techniques Through Section 5|
|Bargello Techniques Section 5 Closeup|
|Bargello Techniques Through Section 4|
|Bargello Techniques Section 4 Closeup|
December 27, 2013--Just finished Section 3 and moved my horizontal and diagonal basting lines by 2 canvas threads to correct the error I made in Section1 (discussed below).
I'm not sure if I've miscounted, but had to make a small change in the instructions for Section 3 regarding what stitch to do first. It isn't much of a change--all I did was move the basting indicator (small dot at top of Diagram 27) over 1 thread to the left (this change now agrees with the basting line for Section 2). After doing so, I then began my stitching 1 thread over to the right. Now everything fits where it's supposed to (see photo below showing these changes in the instructions). Still enjoying this project immensely. The next section is large and looks like fun to do. Hope to start working on it soon.
|Bargello Techniques Section 3 Closeup|
|Bargello Techniques Through Section 3|
|Change in Section 3 Instructions|
PS--Since Section 1 was started "upside down", I inadvertently began two threads down from where I should have, so now I need to rebaste Sections 3 - 8. Not a big problem and glad I realized what happened. I'll just need to add two threads of stitching to the top of Sections 4 and 5 to equal Section 1. You can see in my picture of Section 1 Closeup that there's an extra row of 2 threads stitched on the top.
|Section 2 Closeup|
|Complete Through Sectiok 2|
December 9, 2013--I'm loving this project! So far all of the basting has been done to mark off the sections (hard to see in the picture--used very light pink thread) and Section 1 is complete.
The shop where I purchased my threads did not have Silk & Ivory as recommended by Liz, so they suggested Planet Earth and Vineyard Silks. The lightest and darkest of my threads are Planet Earth and they cover beautifully. Perfect for this project. The Vineyard Silks...not so much. Others have written on the class Yahoo Group List, confirming this is NOT a good substitution (thanks Melita for your photo). However, in an email to the group, Liz suggested a "looser twist" or tension if using threads that cover less well, so I'm doing that with pretty good success. The picture below was taken at a slight angle and, because my tension is loose, there's a loft in the threads, so the coverage looks good (for the most part). Since I don't have an LNS, I'm sort of stuck with the thread purchases I made before I learned of this problem.
I really liked Liz's suggestion to begin the pattern in the middle, dividing the thread in half, working one side from the middle to the right, then the other side from the middle to the left. My thread skeins were easily cut into 40" lengths, so this was perfect. Had no waste knot to start and just enough tail on each end to bury into threads on the back. Since I used only half of the length for each side, there was less drag and wear on the thread through the canvas.
|Bargello Techniques Section 1 Closeup|
|Bargello Techniques Section 1|
|Bargello Techniques Color Palette and Threads|
See the tab above called In Process Projects for a project photo done by Liz for the class.