Thursday, October 22, 2015

Silver Bell Santa Updated 10/22/15

October 22, 2015--Finally finished stitching this delightful santa.  There's lots of dimension on this santa as can be seen in the second picture (but the beads aren't showing).  Will eventually have this santa and others made into ornaments.  How adorable they'll look on my tree.

Silver Bell Santa Completed




Silver Bell Santa Completed Side View

July 29, 2015--Along with the hat, all of santa's hair is stitched--beard, mustache, sideburns and eyebrows.  The last thing to do is the fur on the hat.  The beard is very shiny and had to take a side view so the beads would be visible.

He's a cutie.

All Hair Stitched

Side View of Beads in Beard
May 11, 2015--Signed up to take this class from the Shining Needle Society in December, 2014 and am just now able to work on it.   Only the face has been stitched, but it's nice to see santa "come alive".  Love these Janet Zickler Casey santas--they are fast to stitch and Janet's instructions are so easy to follow.
Face Completed

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Beachcomber's Booty - Updated 3/16/16

March 16, 2016--Won 3rd Place Ribbon for Canvaswork at the Rehoboth Beach Museum 6th Annual Needlework Exhibit.

March 7, 2016--Placed this project into a 6.5" box top with an antique finish white paint.  Love it.

Beachcomber's Booty Box Top

October 20, 2015--Finished this beautiful project and will now shop for a box with an insert top.   Enjoyed seeing how easy the blackwork stitches were to execute.

Beachcomber's Booty Completed


October 7, 2015--My local ANG chapter, Delaware's Seashore Chapter, was fortunate to have Ann Strite-Kurz teach us a class called Beachcomber's Booty.  It's a beautiful sand dollar design (it's our chapter's logo).

Below is a picture of my project so far.  It's fun to work these beautiful stitches and I hope to have it done this month.

There's a story behind this.  Linda,  another chapter member, and I took a class from Ann at the 2012 Philadelphia ANG Seminar.  While there, Ann told us about her beach house in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  We asked Ann if she would be willing to teach a class when in Delaware and shared contact information.  Well, earlier this year she wrote to say she would be here in October and asked if we were still interested in having her teach a class.  We answered with a resounding yes, yes, yes!

Ann brought some examples of her pieces along with anything we wanted to purchase (saving us lots of shipping costs).  We drooled over her techniques and marveled at the results.

Thank you Ann for a wonderful learning experience and we'll have a beautiful project when done.

Beachcomber's Booty in Process at 10/7/15


Saturday, October 10, 2015

Gardener's Alphabet - The Letter N - Nasturtium - 10/10/15


October 10, 2015--Sometime in mid-August, Liz Morrow sent out an email searching for pilot stitchers for her Gardener's Alphabet project (counted stitch, not painted) described below.  I've admired Liz's work with bargello and jumped at the opportunity to do this.  Here's the end result* and more information follows.


Gardener's Alphabet Letter N


Gardener's Alphabet Letter N Side View
Liz wrote:
  • The Garden Alphabet was designed by Jim Williams as a rug. The designs were first published in Needlepoint News, Jan/Feb 1982 issue. At that time, it was worked on 10-count canvas with Paternayan wool in Tent stitches.  Mr. Williams has graciously allowed the designs to be reworked for 18-count canvas, color coded to DMC floss.  The designs may be worked entirely in Basketweave or Continental. If desired, decorative stitches may be used, particularly for the background and letters. The background could also be left unstitched, especially if a colored canvas is used. A light coverage stitch on a colored canvas is also an attractive option. 
Liz sent me the letter N to stitch, using the canvas, colors, threads and stitches of my choice.  I have to admit that I have very little experience in choosing my own stitches, but tried to keep the different areas uniform in size while giving contrast.  I did something very unusual though (at least for me it’s unusual)—all the stitches are vertical on 24 count congress cloth—there aren’t any diagonal or horizontal stitches on the piece.  The color choices were based on the Kreinik thread used for the letter.  I love this color called Confetti Pink and it works with the flower and leaves.   Also, for the background, the basting stitches, worked over 5 threads in blocks of ten, were left in place.  I thought it gave a nice trellis-like look to it.

If I had more time (this needed to be done by the end of September), I would have redone this project, using threads with more contrast for the flower and a darker thread for the veins of the two center leaves.  Also, because the spaces within the flower were so small, would have chosen different stitches.   Oh well, for the most part it worked and Liz is going to use it.

* Liz has approved this early blog about the project and hopes to have the full alphabet up on her web site by the end of October.  Can't wait to see what the other stitchers have done.