Statcounter

Monday, February 15, 2016

Kumihimo Braid Making - Updated 2/15/16

February 15, 2016--Have been experimenting with different types of thread and think I've come up with the right combination of thickness and decorative metallics.  I like this one so much that I'm going to use it as the cord around my Imperial Heart project.   It has a few uneven areas, but when wrapped around the heart, don't think they'll show that much, if at all.

Kumihimo Braid for use as Ornament Cording


February 11, 2016--My interest was piqued after reading about this braid making tool on D1D2's January 18th blog.

So taking advantage of some eBucks to spend on eBay, I found this Beginner's Small Kumihimo Kit.  It came with two colors of cord, a Kumiloom or braiding disk, how-to instructions, thread bobbins and bits to make a necklace.  Last night while watching TV I worked up the braid and now I'm hooked.  It was so fast and easy to do.  Next cord will be made with needlepoint stash threads for a similar look, but with a smaller diameter to use for the finishing of ornaments.   Too cool!

Kumihimo Braid Beginner's Kit

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun! The cord that came in your kit looks better than mine. I've been itching to do more, and I have a design in mind. I just need to find the perfect beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit came with a "slide" and clasp to make a necklace out of the cord. I'm not going to do this. Instead, I'll use the cord with its orange and green colors to hang a Halloween project.
      I'm now experimenting with thinner threads to use as cording around ornaments. Learning that tension is very important.

      Delete