Statcounter

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

New Tool For Straightening Threads - 2/28/18

February 28, 2018--I have a new favorite tool--a Vinida 2-in-1 cordless hair straightener ceramic flat iron and curling iron that is rechargeable with a USB charger. It was a little more expensive than some others, but I wanted a portable, rechargeable flat iron because we are unable to plug in appliances while taking classes at the ANG national seminar.   It is recommended the iron be turned off after each use, but that isn't a problem--when you turn it on, it heats up immediately and then cools quickly when you're finished using it.

Vinida Portable Flat Iron
I had some experience with similar irons brought into classes for students to use, but didn't think they were necessary.  Well, I'm a convert now.  I've been using it to straighten out everything--from RG/Neon Rays to RG/Splendor (love what it does to silk).  I find the threads don't kink up so much and are easier to "lay" flat and smooth.   I'm going to experiment using it for all threads.  Yes, it's an additional step to stitching, but at this point, it seems worth it.


9 comments:

  1. Now that is a cool idea. Can you use any flat iron or it has to be ceramic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I really don't know. It just seems that all of the better flat irons use ceramic plates.

      Delete
  2. Please tell me when you use the iron on Splendor do you strand before ironing and if so how many strands do you iron at once.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I strand Splendor first, then put back together the number of strands I want to stitch with, then I use the flat iron to straighten them all out. Hope this answers your question.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! When doing vertical stitches I use 5 strands. Can't wait to try. FYI: I did use the iron for Neon Rays - What a difference it made. So glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wanting to use the Pavillion Diamond stitch with the Splendor. This is for Santa's coat. The canvas has various areas for beads or cross stitches. I would like to use beads. Can I stitch the beads first, using the "brick stitch", thus stitching around them or add the beads to the finished stitches. The beads never look as good "sitting on top" of the threads. Anxious to read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I've never stitched beads on top of needlepoint stitchers, but instead left the area to be beaded blank, worked my needlepoint stitches around the area to be beaded, then added beads last. hope this makes sense.

      Delete