Statcounter

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Hardanger University - 2/28/19

February 28, 2019--I spent last weekend in Myrtle Beach, SC attending Hardanger University, a Spirit of Stitching Event.  I understand this type of seminar has been going on for many, many years, but for only about 5 years under the new name of Hardanger U.



There were three different classes taught by three different instructors held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  We were housed at the Embassy Suites Hotel, part of the Kingston Resort, and our classrooms were a shuttle ride away.  I was fortunate to be in a group that consisted of only 5 other students and we were together the whole time.  We did learn a lot about each other and I look forward to continuing friendships made over the weekend.  Here are my classmates:

Kathi B, Meredith M, Karen C, Donna G and Elizabth H.

My first class on Friday was taught by Terri Bay of Terri Bay Needlework Designs.

Terri Bay
She began by having us work on a small ornament sized project, but gave us enough fabric and threads to complete the larger design shown below, Crystal Daisies.
Terri Bay's Teaching Piece

Instructions for Full Size Terri Bay Project 
She also introduced us to an Australian perle thread by Cottage Garden Threads (CGT).  They are dyed so that the color changes are consistent from one skein to another.  Beautiful colors too. 



Here is the status of my ornament at the end of class.....




The second class on Saturday was taught by Marion Scoular, a long time instructor and author of the booklet given to us as part of the kit.  Can you see her beautifully stitched collar?    If you ever have the pleasure to dine with Marion, be prepared for lots of laughter at her stories--enough said.  LOL.

Marion Scoular

Hardanger Booklet by Marion Scoular

Her project, an adorable bell which can be mounted on one of four blank cards included in the kit, can be stitched 2 ways as shown in the examples below.    The fabric used for this project is called "hardanger" and consists of 2 threads woven tightly together, both vertically and horizontally, and stitched as if they were one.

Marion Scoular Project Bell Version 1

Marion Scoular Project Bell Version 2
 Here is where I left off at the end of the day.  Learned how to do picots and dove's eyes.  Whew.


Blank cards included in kit for mounting hardangr bell

My third class on Sunday was taught by Donna Olson.

Donna Olson
She gave us plenty of thread and Laguna fabric to complete four large projects pictured below called Satin Stitches Hardangersom.  



This is the project I chose to work on.


 Here's where I left off at the end of the day.  Much of the practice was done on a "doodle" cloth.


Both Marion and Donna stressed the importance of basting over and under 4 threads and, after making a few counting errors, can appreciate why.


All in all, I was very impressed with the high caliber of the three instructors.  Each approached hardanger from a different perspective offering up alternatives to the common and more difficult stitches in the genre.  I was also very happy with the lodging and class room facilities--can't go wrong staying at the resort (my room had an ocean view).   Will I go again next year?  Don't know.  I would like to complete the three projects begun last weekend and explore the hardanger world on You Tube.  Would I recommend this seminar to anyone else?  Yes, yes, yes!

Pictures of my fellow classmates and teachers are posted with their permission.














3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous time. But sorry you got sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I'm finally starting to feel better. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to put a face to the teachers. By the way, we need to exchange emails you and I ;) I can never reply to your comments since you show up as a no-reply blogger

    ReplyDelete