Statcounter

Thursday, August 11, 2022

ANG Seminar 2022, Tucson, AZ - 8/11/22

August 11, 2022--After two years of not having seminars due to COVID, ANG held the 2022 seminar at the Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa in Tucson, AZ from July 29 through August 5, 2022.   This beautiful resort is located in the Catalina Foothills just north of Tucson.  The play of shadows as the sun rose and set on the hills was enchanting.  




The facility consisted of central buildings housing the meeting and classrooms, banquet halls, restaurants, etc. around which were the guests' quarters.  I knew there would be walking involved each day, so I requested a room as close as possible to the main building and I was pleased to get exactly that--I was just a few steps away from where I needed to be each day.  I also asked for a microwave to be placed in my room, and they were able to accommodate all my requests.  The room itself was very large and well-appointed with a luxurious bathroom.  I was very comfortable which was a good thing as you'll see further down in this post.


What My Room Looked Like

For the first two days of seminar, on Friday and Saturday, I took Toni Gerdes Golden Candles class.  Toni's classes never disappoint, and this project is right up there on my must get done first list. 

Golden Candles Designed by Toni Gerdes Project Photo


I had a free day on Sunday, so did a little sightseeing with Dorothy B of the NOVA Chapter of ANG.  Our first stop was the Mission San Xavier where we attended Mass while enjoying the beautiful alter statuary and artwork.


Mission San Xavier Exterior


Mission San Xavier Interior
 

Our next stop was the Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures.  This was an extraordinary collection of over 500 houses and roomboxes filled with tiny furniture and household artifacts.  My eyes just couldn't get enough.  Below are two examples of the details found (excuse the glass glare).

Museum of Miniatures Example 1


Museum of Miniatures Example 2


Our last stop for the day was the Bead Holiday Shop with room upon room of beads, beads and more beads (as well as jewelry making paraphernalia).  I found a few instructional brochures that looked like something I could manage using a stash of beads I have at home.  By the time we got back to the resort, I was exhausted but happy. 

Next up that day was the Welcome Banquet with a cocktail hour beforehand.  I don't know about the other libations offered, but the wine was FREE, so that got the evening off to a good start.   I enjoyed the camaraderie of the NJNA Chapter members at dinner and was amazed by the needlework pieces that won special exhibit awards.  So many amazing projects.

Then on Monday and Tuesday, I had two jam packed days of whitework, pulled work and blackwork in a class called Dragonfly Mandala by Terri Bay.

Dragonfly Mandala Project Photo

On Monday I also attended a Chapter Presidents meeting where we shared ideas on managing chapter documents, increasing membership, etc.  Later that day, I attended a CyberPointers Chapter get together where the benefits of this ANG online chapter were reviewed.  


Then the SH**T hit the fan.


By the end of class on Tuesday, I knew I was in trouble--sniffling, coughing, all with a fever.  The hotel gave me a home COVID test and I passed with flying colors.  So the next day, Wednesday, I visited the Urgent Care Facility at La Paloma and it was confirmed--I tested positive for COVID.  They wouldn't give me the Plaxlovid concoction, saying they don't believe in it, so I left their clinic with prescriptions for cough syrup, antihistamines, etc.  Then I placed myself in quarantine for three days.  The resort was wonderful in giving me what I needed to rest in place, so I have nothing but kudos to give them.

But I did miss a lot.  I was scheduled to take two more classes--Sugarplum Santa and Tiffany Heart, both designed and taught by Janet Zickler Casey.  I also missed Expo Night where teachers sell their projects no longer being taught in a classroom setting.  Then I missed the Teachers' Showcase to view upcoming projects for future classes.  I also never got to view the beautiful needlework in the Exhibit Hall.  I had planned to stop in on Friday but being in quarantine kept me from doing so.  I also missed the Farewell Banquet.    

So I left for home on Saturday, feeling really, really good after three days of rest.  But that was short lived.  By the time I got through my second leg of the trip home (from Dallas to Philly) and the two hour drive home to Southern Delaware, I was very sick again.  I think I picked up another COVID variant at the airport while my immune system was in a weakened state.  

So I'm back in quarantine, but happy to be recuperating at home.  



3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this, Brenda.

    I find it interesting you were able to get the Covid test kit at the hotel; I was told I could take the hotel shuttle to CVS to get one. I barely had a sore throat, so I waited 2 days to test positive at home. My sister is a nurse practitioner, and she called in the Paxlovid prescription for me (try getting hold of your doctor on the weekend). I would be interested in knowing how many Covid cases there were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get a home test from the registration desk manager who had one with her. Glad you were able to get Paxlovid. Hope you're well now.

      Delete
    2. I’m well - just really tired.

      Delete