Statcounter

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Game is On Checkerboard - Updated 9/19/23

September 19, 2023--Won an Honorable Mention Ribbon in the Canvaswork/Needlepoint category at Rehoboth Beach Museum's 11th Annual Needlework Exhibition in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  So pleased.

February 5, 2023--My local framer, Michael's Arts and Crafts in Rehoboth Beach, DE, had a devil of a time putting together the frame that was part of the "Game is On" checkerboard kit.  It's an adorable frame with grooves for holding checkers, but the frame itself wasn't squarely cut or mitered evenly, so it looks a bit wonky and uneven.  She showed me some of the problem areas, but personally, I don't think it's that bad, so after two tries, I took it home.  

The frame and checkers that came as part of the kit were unfinished.  In my earlier blog about this project (see the postings below), I wrote about having to spray paint the frame and paint the checkers with a brush.   The frame was very easy to spray paint and any unevenness doesn't show since the color is "clear".  Painting the checkers was a bit more of a challenge since I've never done anything like this and had to handle each checker nine times to get the top, side and bottom painted twice, then placed one coat of shiny stuff on all twelve checkers.  Whew!  

So here's a picture of the results.  It's really very cute and sits on the bottom shelf of my living room coffee table.


Game is On Checkerboard Finished


January 24, 2022--Just completed stitching 6 rows of basketweave in black all around the checkerboard so the canvas will be totally covered under the glass inside the frame.  I also purchased a can of polyurethane to spray the frame, but this won't get done until the weather warms up (want to do this outdoors in fresh air).  I also need to purchase some paint for the checker pieces.  Lots of bits to take care of, but when done, this will be quite the conversation piece.
Game is On Checkerboard Completed

January 7, 2022--This project is stitched EXCEPT for additional rows needed so that the checkerboard will fill up the the frame that came as part of the kit.  I need about 6-7 rows in black basketweave around the project, so I'll do 6 rows then paint a couple of canvas threads in black in case the canvas does show.  

Game is On Completed Except for Black Border

December 22, 2021--The stitching is done through Area 8 of this interesting project.  I'm loving the stitches, threads, and even the unusual colors.  The next border sections, Areas 9, 10 and 11, should go quickly now that I'm over halfway done. 

I met with the manager of the framing department in Michaels Arts & Crafts who is willing to help me learn how to paint the frame for this piece, along with the checkers.   Once the project is completely stitched and the frame painted, she will then insert the checkerboard into the frame after she has put it together.   Fun.

Read below for more information about the source of this project.



Game is On Stitched Through Area 8


December 2, 2021--The checkerboard portion of this project is now completely stitched and I'm ready to work on the borders.  They look very interesting with a bit of a challenge.   


Game is On Checkerboard Portion Completed


November 20, 2021--I've begun working on a Pilot Stitch project for Susan Hoekstra of Foxview Needlepoint called Game Is On.  It's a beautiful checkerboard with amazing stitches using wonderful threads, some of which don't require a laying tool (yay!).  So far, I've stitched 36 of the 64 squares, so am a little over half done with the checkerboard portion.

Susan will be teaching this piece at ANG's 2022 Seminar in Tucson, AZ and a photo of the project can be seen on ANG's website (click here).  

The kit not only includes a line drawn canvas with delicious threads and excellent instructions, it also comes with a frame that has grooves to hold the checkers that are not in play.  Cool.  The hard part, though, is having to paint the frame and checker pieces.  Since I've never done anything like this, I'll have to ask someone at Michael's Arts & Crafts how to go about getting it done right (if I can find someone there who can help me).  Stay tuned on this bit.

Game is On Checkerboard Half Done






1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. I heard the chips are a little too big for the squares. Pretty piece though.

    ReplyDelete