Statcounter

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Rozashi Daiya Variations Kit - Updated 5/27/23

May 27, 2023--I really enjoy Rozashi (which, in Japanese, means Ro - Canvas and Zashi - To Stitch).  You use mostly a vertical stitch on a type of canvas where the horizontal threads are much wider than the vertical ones.  In the United States, this type of canvas is only available through a few instructors from whom I've been fortunate enough to take classes (all online at this point).  

Here's a photo of the finished Daiya Variations using the Lee Ornament holder.  It's a good thing we are taught to seriously "paste" the back of the stitching because I had to cut about 1/4" off the circle as drawn for us on the canvas.  This meant cutting into the stitching--something I hated to do, fearing the threads and canvas would unravel.  Phew, because of the heavy Nori paste/starch, everything remained intact.  Next, the stitched circle had to be pushed, using a butter knife, into the Lee Ornament Holder.  This too caused me some anxiety fearing all that manipulation would hurt the piece.  Nope--everything held up fine and I now have a pretty ornament to hang in my dressing closet, along with all my other "smalls".

Rozashi Daiya Variations Ornament Finished

May 12, 2023--CyberPointers Chapter of ANG recently had a Rozashi class offering taught by Kate Festo called Daiya Variations.  I'm just now beginning to work on this beautiful piece and enjoyed going through everything in the kit which includes a rozashi canvas glued onto a wood frame, written instructions, 2 sumptuous silk thread colors and 1 packet of gold threads, needles, nori paste, AND a gold Lee round ornament to "finish" this project.  

I've read the instructions and watched the Zoom video by Kate, so I'm now ready to stitch.


Rozashi Daiya Variations Kit

BTW, Kate Festo is the daughter of Margaret Kinsey, famed Rozashi instructor and designer.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! Very interesting pattern. Reminds me of bargello. I took one class from Margaret Kinsey and is in my unfinished pile. Somehow I misunderstood something and thought you had to pull the stitches. That hurt my hand and put it aside. Years later I found out that pulling is not necessary. So, I should finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see it. I have two more rozashi projects to stitch from the 2020 online seminar. I really enjoy working on them.

      Delete