Statcounter

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Ocean City, MD Stitching Retreat with Checkerspot Stitchers - 4/18/19

April 18, 2019--Recently returned from a 3 day stitching retreat at the Dunes Manor Hotel in Ocean City, MD organized by the ANG Checkerspot Stitchers Chapter of Silver Spring, MD (of which I am a member).  This is my third year attending this wonderful event and, as in the past, enjoyed it tremendously.

Dunes Manor Hotel, Ocean City, MD
Arrived on Saturday morning to a room dedicated to stitching for the retreat's duration, and already filled with members working on a myriad of projects--some new, some WIPS.

One of the members, Jane B., gifted us with a leather, corked backed, coaster to insert a 3" x 3" piece of needlepoint (she gave us the canvas to stitch our own design).  I chose the navy blue color thinking it would work nice with the (Oliver Twist) teal, navy, green threads I brought with me from my stash. I found a free, easy to stitch square on the Rainbow Gallery website called Mystical Stairs and have already completed one-quarter of the design.  Debbie F. also found an RG bargello design which looks like hearts, and was able to finish her project.  It looks great in her red coaster.

Navy Leather Coaster with Cork Backing (Blank)

Oliver Twist Threads

RG Mystical Stairs Free Pattern One-Quarter Completed
The weather in Ocean City, for the most part, was all fog, fog, fog.  Didn't see the Ocean for 2 days.  On Sunday night, in the wee morning hours, a horrifying storm came through the Eastern Seaboard causing tornado warnings to hit our cell phones.  I must admit to being quite frightened and found myself sitting in the bathroom during the storm's worst winds (to be away from windows).  I swear I felt the hotel sway.

But with the daylight came beautiful views of the Atlantic.  Still lots of wind, but the day turned out balmy and sunny.

Thank you Barbara E. for organizing this wonderful retreat.  Looking forward to attending next year.

Checkerspot Stitchers Name Tag





1 comment:

  1. That was a nasty storm. Glad everyone was ok. The design looks a little like a wind mill. That's so you can remember the winds!?!

    ReplyDelete